Wednesday, December 21, 2011

An Unexpected Excitement



I would say I'm well known in these parts for two reasons:

1) My general curmudgeon nature intermingling with heavy dry humor

2) Ranting on and on about people getting hyped up over things and trying to force their anticipation upon others.

Now I would just like to say "ZOMG OMG OMG OMG OMFG!!!!!! YES! WAHOO! EUREKA! FINALLY!"

Is all of that true? Well, it is and it isn't. Though I would just like to say there is simply no movie - let alone two - that I have been more excited about than The Hobbit. Lord of the Rings for me is such an amazing experience. So much so that two of the films are in my top 100 (and to all you "I treat them as one whole film" people - I stick my tongue out at you). But The Hobbit, oh that's my childhood wonder wrapped up in whole. As a kid I must read The Hobbit - or had it read to me by my mom - somewhere in the range of 30+ times. It's simply the defining novel of my childhood. There was nothing else I cared to read, and little else I dared to have read. Even Lord of the Rings.

Pile on top of that the Rankin/Bass version of The Hobbit with its amazing songs, steadfast animation, quality voice work, and perfect encapsulation of the novel, and to say I'm rearing to go for some Hobbit adventure is a gross understatement. The movie trailer looks to be following along that trail while exploring new aspects of the world left unsaid in the novels (though explored to greater depth in LotR).

Of course I know my anticipation doesn't mean the movie is going to be any good. I definitely have some reservations. Namely, I think splitting the book in two is going to run the risk of spreading the butter a bit thin (if get that reference, I love you) but I do reserve the right to hope for its quality and success. So here's to 2012. You can keep your Avengers, for I shall have my Hobbit!

3 better thoughts:

ilovethatfilm said...

Agreed. Forget the Avengers, this (and a couple of other recent trailers) are the real reasons to be excited for 2012. Jackson does it again!

Red said...

This trailer was everything I had anticipated it would be. Simply fantastic.

I love you, too.

Castor said...

The Avengers? What's that? I love that trailer for The Hobbit. Not sure whether splitting the book into two movies was a good idea but it certainly leaves a lot of screen time for Jackson to explore the subtext beyond the story.

Related Posts with Thumbnails