Saturday, June 4, 2011

Classic Double Feature on a Saturday: Cornfield Edition

Alright, technically this is a cheat because only one of them really deserves the title classic, but the combo points are simply too high to pass up:

First: Signs - 2002
Featuring - Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, Rory Culkin, and Abigail Breslin


Second: Field of Dreams - 1989
Featuring - Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta, Timothy Busfield and Burt Lancaster


Theme: If you want to avoid crazy shit happening at your house - never mix baseball and cornfields; they're the juncture for the supernatural.

Noteworthy Accolades:
Three Oscar Nominations - Field of Dreams (Best Music, Original Score; Best Picture; Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay)
Insanely Awesome James Earl Jones Speech - No, I'm not kidding, it is insanely awesome. So awesome in fact, if the film crew didn't start their own clap the second they stopped rolling, they should all be put in cinematic jail.
Most Awesome Invasion Tactic - Nothing quite like building your invasion plans on a map system that's only valuable a third of the year and only available in a small percentage of the global climate. Damn you seasons! We keep having to redraw the maps over and over again. No wonder we ended up invading Pennsylvania three hundred years too late!

Univarn's Ratings:
Signs - 6.50/10
Field of Dreams - 8.25/10


Enjoy.

3 better thoughts:

Nikhat said...

I remember wanting to do a movie review for Signs when I was in 5th grade as my holiday homework. I rented the movie and everything, but everytime I would try to watch it, I'd fall asleep. Never finished it... still haven't seen it.

I ended up writing one on Charlie's Angels...ofcourse.

Sam Fragoso said...

I love "Field of Dreams" ... not as much as "Bull Durham", though.

Good post Ryan.

Univarn said...

@Nikhat It's rubbish, but rubbish I find absolutely awesome.

@Duke Field of Dreams is just awesome - I've always been surprised it struggles to stay above a 7.5 on IMDB.

Related Posts with Thumbnails