Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Obligatory DVD Release Post 12/21/2010

Some will tell you that the end of the world is near. Others will tell you the end of the world is very far away. A Life in Equinox is here to tell you to buy a globe and hit these people in the head with it.

This has been your LiE Service Message.

New Releases:

Easy A: Between The A-Team and Easy A this year was full of bad puns involving grading schemes. We get it, an A is a grade, and so are B, C, D, and F. Hilarious. Now excuse me while I go make some puns on how 'easy' is not 'hard' and 'team' is kind of nothing like 'loners.' I refer to the Jon Stewart Daily Show rant on puns for all future references.

I hope to have a review up for this, this week. However, I make no promises.

Salt: The tagline for this should have gotten an honorable mention in my worst taglines of 2010 post - Who is Salt? Well obviously she's Missus Pepper! BOOM! Take that socially constructed norms. Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week. Next week as well, but by then you'll have completely forgotten about this movie.

Which reminds me - Roger Ebert gave this four stars... Since I haven't seen it I'll reserve judgment, but I find that very curious.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps: Hey about that BORDERS plot point the other BORDERS day. I'd just like to tell BORDERS you that I think BORDERS there's no way it's going to work. So why don't you just BORDERS get out of here and I'll BORDERS cover it all up. By the way, what should we do about illegal immigration? Oh no... no... please... oh god NO! BORDERS BORDERS BORDERS BORDERS BORDERS BORDERS BORDERS BORDERS.......

I'm not entirely sure which I find more frustrating. Blatant product placement (yes Fox I get it, all your shows use the new Microsoft phone thingy) or people annoyed by their presence. Either way, let's try and keep both to a minimum :)

Step Up 3: You're once, twice, three times a shitty movie, and there's no way I'm watching you! When we are apart, these moments I cherish. Now please go away. Sure I killed the Lionel Richie lyrics, but in my defense they were both asking for it.

Devil: From the man behind that one film that you might have seen had you checked out that other film in which it told you to check out the prior film, comes another film about a topic vaguely like the prior two films that you might enjoy if you liked those films! I have too much fun with that. I'm a seriously disturbed individual. Note to self: avoid writing overly complicated sentences like that, it destroys your mind. And so does this movie - hooray! I managed a tie in.

Other Goodies:

The Matador (Blu-Ray): This little gem of a film starring Pierce Brosnan, Greg Kinnear, and Hope Davis was one of my favorite movies too few people saw in 2005. Not certain blu-ray will do a lot for it, but if you haven't checked it out yet I recommend it.

The Films of Rita Hayworth (Collection): Gilda, Cover Girl, Miss Sadie Thompson (*shrug*), Salome, and Tonight and Every Night. Well, if it has Rita Hayworth, you've at least got me interested. I am lacking somewhat in my Hayworth viewing department. Something I tend to remedy shortly.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some superhero moves to perform!

So let me know - what are you going to be purchasing this week? Anything on your rental queue?

4 better thoughts:

SugaryCynic said...

I liked the Matador, but yeah, no real point in owning it on Blu-ray. Also, as much as I love Roger Ebert, our relationship hasn't been the same since he gave Kick-Ass half a star. I'm not saying it's the cinematic second coming, but jeez, half a star?! So, you know, be careful with Jason Bourne's A Girl Now, I mean, Salt.

Castor said...

Not a bad week of DVD releases. I certainly would not mind seeing Easy A again and I'm intrigued by both Salt and Wall Street 2. It's too bad you have to wait a whole month for new DVDs to make it to Netflix...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just purchased the Family Guy Star Wars Trilogy boxed set - third one came out today, and since I like them (in a twisted sort of way) thought I'd get all three.

Univarn said...

@Sugary Well I think Kick-Ass became a platform for lots of different reviewers to express a wide variety of personal opinions on things quasi-related to the film.

@Castor I'll probably catch Salt and Wall Street 2 sometime down the road when there's not a lot going on. For now though, I'm sticking with all the big releases I've yet to see.

@AlexJ I thought about putting it up here, but I'm not big on Family Guy so I figured someone else would mention it :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails