Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Obligatory DVD Release Post 10/12/2010

Notice: I'm looking for 2 people to take part in the next episode of the Film Enigma, ideally Tuesday or Wednesday next week! If you're available to take part in it send me an email (lifeinequinox@gmail.com) with your available times (please include time zone) and I'll find a way to make it happen!

New Releases:

How to Train Your Dragon (Friday): Ohhhh, feeling too good for Tuesday, eh? Don't feel the need to be jumbled in with the rest of the films? What, you're too good for Jonah Hex and a lot of other crap I haven't heard of!?!!? Well, you're right mister!!!! But that's not being fair. Now I have to wait, or change the day I do my DVD release post, both of which are annoying I'll have you know! If you're wondering why there are so many exclamation points in this post thus far, I'll present you with Internet Writing Excuse number #240293-X1LLH03 from the IWE handbook:

I lack the vocabulary to get my point across therefore I compensate with unnecessary uses of ! and CAPITAL LETTERS!

Still, this movie does rock - My Review

Jonah Hex: You can Hex if you want to. You can leave your friends behind. 'Cause your friends don't hex and if they don't hex, they're no friends of mine. What I'm trying to say is - it's not me, it's you. I don't want to be around you. I don't want to know you. I'd rather you just went away somewhere and left me to my horrible Safety Dance references. Why? Because honestly, I'd rather be trapped in a room listening to Safety Dance for 24 hours than spend an hour and half with you. Somehow, I feel, no matter what I spent that day doing, nothing could compare in wasted time than watching your movie. So, have a good day, I'm going to buy some tacos!

I Am Love: Dear Tilda Swinton, we all love you, but we'd appreciate it if you would warn us ahead of time if you're going to be disappearing for a while, into obscure art films. Yearly doses must be supplied to your many fans, and it's not fair if you're not around to administer it. The paperwork really gets ridiculous. So, be sure to just toss in a heads up next time, OK? Thanks a bunch - Sincerely, People of Uzbekistan (I'm pretty sure as someone who can spell their name without google I earn the right to consider myself an ambassador, don't I?)

Leaves of Grass: Wait a second... didn't this just come out in theaters yesterday? *checks files* OK so it was a month ago, but come on! It hasn't even reached my area of NC yet! To that I say: way to fold! You should have stuck with it, it's been delayed enough, what's another 2 or 3 months? Go for it. Put out unnecessary quotes about how the film was the surprise hit of the year. Nobody really double checks.

Other Releases: Lost Boys: The Thirst (wahoo?), Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones (Rolling Stones - 900 documentaries for each year they are old), Older Than America (about time an unseen 2008 film got released on DVD because of Bradley Cooper's withering popularity!)

Other Goodies:

Three Kings (Blu-Ray): Can enough be said about this movie? Probably, but I still think it's a lot of fun, and has a good enough heart to see it through. I think it's one of those movies that very few people really dislike, openly at least. Which is great for get togethers!

The Magician (Criterion): It's no secret that my cinema diet is in desperate need of more Ingmar Bergman and Max Von Sydow. Saw The Seventh Seal last year and it absolutely blew me away, instant top 100 appearance. I shall most definitely give this a shot.

Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Collector's Edition: I remember watching Top Hat in my film history class with a huge grin on my face, and a good array of laughs coming from my gut. Since then I've considered anything they do to be worth my attention, if the price is right. 10 of their films for $52 I believe is just about right!

That's all I got for you today, feel free to comment on anything (tv shows) I've missed (crap) for discussion!

6 better thoughts:

Castor said...

Not too pumped for any of those films. Jonah Hex is a stinker while Leaves of Grass and I Am Love are two indies that I'm not too in the mood for currently.

SugaryCynic said...

My friends are excited bordering on lunacy for the release of How To Train Your Dragon, and it is admittedly a bit infectious. And also, so that's where Tilda Swinton went! (I gave up looking after I couldn't find her under my couch)

Ryan McNeil said...

I am all over HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON like a fat kid on a Twinkie.

I am likewise pretty darned jazzed about a release that didn't make your cut here: The Criterion release of Wes Anderson's DARJEELING LIMITED.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm picking up Dragon on Friday and Jonah Hex is in my NetFlix queue. Hey, I HAVE to see how bad it really is!

Univarn said...

@Castor I'm up for Leaves of Grass, and intend on watching/reviewing it. Always been a big Edward Norton fan.

@SugaryCynic I'm curious to see how HTTYD makes the movie theater to home theater transition. Hopefully not too badly.

@Mad HEY THAT'S MY TWINKIE!!! Now I know whose been stealing them all....

As for DL I was going to put it on the list, held off to put the others on there, and forgot about it. :x

@AlexJ So, where will the procession be held after your sudden demise 3 seconds following the JH credits? I'll be sure to send along my condolences.

Red said...

How to Train Your Dragon was a wonderful movie, even if I never was able to come up with a review for it.

I'm interest in seeing I Am Love and Leaves of Grass, but I'll probably wait until they are on Netflix Instant Play.

As far as Hex, I'm not even sure if I would've watched that had it been my full-time job to write reviews.

Related Posts with Thumbnails