Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Paid Money For That?

Mad Hatter's article today on going to the theater alone got me to thinking about something when looking back. The movies we go see with friends, just because it's something to do together.

I've always had a bit of a gift for sensing a movie I'm not going to like from a long distance away. And, at times, I have been wrong, but for the most part I bat a solid .750 (take that A-Rod!) in my predictive value for stinkers. So, as you can imagine, I justly avoid them whenever possible. Still, sometimes when it comes to friends, or loved ones, you just get roped into seeing something because. That sense of camaraderie that forces you to venture into the depths of cinema crap just to spend time with one another.

And while I am, by personal preference, most often prone to going to the movies alone, or with my mom (very similar tastes), I have gone quite often to see movies with friends. Unfortunately these cases have come with very mixed results.

The worst two cases of this being: THE FOG and ERAGON. Two movies so dreadful I actually went into the low 3's in my scoring. Even good company made it hard to swallow those two. But all is not bad, we did go see movies like Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, and the not too horrible (thanks to Angus Macfadyen) Saw III (but not too good either).

It's an odd thing though, the movie we go see for others.

So, ladies and gents, I ask thee: What horrible movies did you go see just because your friends were going?

11 better thoughts:

Brittani Burnham said...

"House of the Dead". I can usually find some amusement in bad horror movies but this was was just brutal. I can safely say I haven't watched another Uwe Boll movie since.

Robert said...

The Twilight movies, for sure. I have two friends who forced me to go to them. I was laughing the entire time, so it wasn't a real waste at all. haha!

Anonymous said...

My friend and I went to see The Avengers back in the day and that was just awful. No redeeming value at all.

TG said...

I wanted to see Rachel Getting Married, but my two buddies made me see Max Payne.

Univarn said...

@Britt Oof. I saw House of the Dead on DVD but was lucky to avoid theater expenses for it.

@Robert I think you also earn the right to randomly sniff your friends, and say you're testing out a new pickup line.

@silvermulsion I think we may have a winner. That movie redefined awfulness. Made even worse by the amazing talent involved.

@Thomas Max Payne over Rachel Getting Married, I do greatly sympathize.

Alex said...

Hmm I saw Evan Almighty because my friend's family invited me. Not the worst movie ever, but definitely not something I'd ever watch otherwise. Also that same friend had me see Saw III with him, which made me feel so sick I had to walk out of the theatre for a while. Those are the main ones that come to mind though. Usually I'm the one dragging people to see movies!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Recently? A group of us went to Clash of the Titans. Yes, the original was cheesy, but the remake is all special effects and no heart.
Glad I found your blog - and I'm followee #100!

SugaryCynic said...

Two words: White Chicks. *shudder*

I actually have very fond memories of being dragged to see Eragon, we literally had the whole theater to ourselves and we just laughed at it and bashed it the whole time. Good times.

Simon said...

You Don't Mess With the Zohan and Bride Wars. Four(ish) hours I'll never get back.

Castor said...

You can't have to a bigger stinker than I: Hitman... What a terrible movie! I can't even remember why we decided to go see it...

Danny King said...

Most recently would be the dreadful "Nightmare" remake.

Related Posts with Thumbnails