Friday, October 30, 2009

Obligatory Weekend Movie Post #7

Ah yes, it's Friday, the birds are chirping, the children are running and screaming in horror, pidgeons in the distant cry out "my god Ryan what the hell are you typing this?" Oh... sorry about that, I was trying to be poetic. I suppose poetry doesn't work well when you have a vocabulary as weak as mine (google thesaurus = my friend). Anyways, it's friday, I do this every friday, you should know by now, or not if it's your first time, but yeah... We go!

Wide Release:

This Is It: Or as it shall be known: Michael Jackson's This Would Have Been It. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to do Michael Jackson dead jokes, I leave those to the likes of Bill Mahr. I just have two problems with the way his death has been handled: 1) Be honest, his music is legendary, his weirdness is legendary. You can't seperate the two, so stop acting like the last 10 years of his life wasn't a bit too creepy for everyone. 2) Don't Lie Now. The day Michael Jackson died everyone from Family members who have been trying to seperate themselves from him to public personalities who called him everything from a pedophile to a white woman came out to give every praise they could think in favor him. His music career has earned it no doubt, but I'll never understand why dying turns people from Running Gags to Untouchable, Saint-like, status.

Limited Releases:

Boondock Saints 2 - All Saints Day: The first Boondock Saints was violent, weird, stupid, perverted, and god help me I loved it. No Willem Dafoe in drag this time around so they decided to bring in an actual woman to fill in. It's no surprise this movie is only opening up in 68 theaters, only the cult followers would care to see it anyways.

Gentleman Broncos: Only getting a 2 theater super limited release (so probably count yourself out of viewing it) I have yet to read any really positive early feedback on this. As much as seeing Sam Rockwell on a Missile laded Reindeer would be amusing, I'm not convinced it'll be anything more than another junkie film for the hipsters who still love Napoleon Dynamite (though it has become increasingly more evident to me that I'm among the few who didn't laugh once throughout the film).

Anyways, short week, nothing coming out I'd care to see, but I'm sure some of you do (I know Common's already seen/reviewed This is It), but I'd recommend settling in, grabbing some candy, and going to town!

2 better thoughts:

Snipes said...

I'll agree with you that it's sick to see people who made fun the guy most of his career step out and say what a genius he was after he's dead. Michael Jackson was always a target, part of that was his own doing granted, but I think as an entertainer Jackson got more criticism thrown his way than anyone and a lot of it was just petty. I'm sure that had some effect on his already messed up life.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Boondock Saints II yet? Can't wait to read your review!

Related Posts with Thumbnails