Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Obligatory DVD Release Post


"The dividend of my dividend is my quotient"


There, now you can all do basic math! I hope you're happy.

New Releases

Robin Hood: First rule of making a film: just because you offer something new, doesn't mean it's something people want. Now, there's been some debate as to the quality of this film. I say meh + ok, while others have said OMFG!!!! and BEST #!@*($@( EVAR!!!!!! Translation: Take a chance, and be sure to avoid strenuous exercise for at least 30 minutes afterwords. My Review

Ondine: Colin Farrell + Mermaid = Uni Fantasy. Let's be honest, that's not much of a shock. Deep down we all knew I've always wanted a mermaid. Perhaps a mermaid army would be better. Though after seeing the poster, I'm a bit torn. I honestly can't tell you which star has the better hair, and in film of this quality hair competition is everything.

Other Releases: The Experiment (Brody + Whitaker = Straight to DVD... bad sign), The Secret in their Eyes (they see you!), Directors: Life Behind the Camera (very boring, needs a roof)

Other Goodies:

American Beauty (blu-ray): This is one of those few movies that I feel is so self pretentious it's become awesome in its own unique way. Visually beautifully (and I don't just mean the dynamic duo of Thora Birch and Mena Suvari), I enjoy this movie despite how high it can reach on the cheese factor (be honest, even you laughed a bit at the plastic bag).

Charade (Criterion): Have I said before how much fun I think this movie is? I absolutely love it to death. Grant and Hepburn putting me into cinematic heaven!

To be honest this post wasn't that great today. To be even more honest, neither are the releases. So, fair enough. Perhaps I need less posts in which their awesomeness is relative to the discussion at hand. I feel another rant coming on. Now excuse me while I return to my laboratory.

10 better thoughts:

Fletch said...

I'm feeling an overwhelming mehness to all of these, save Secret in Their Eyes.

SugaryCynic said...

Ondine is really the only one I'm going to actively seek out. Although I did enjoy those Robin Hood commercials, "I declare him to be an OUTLAAAAAAAW!!"

Ryan McNeil said...

I would say that SECRET IN THEIR EYES is the choice for this week - and a good choice at that!

Castor said...

I hear the director's cut of Robin Hood has 15 extra minutes that make the movie much more compelling.

Fletch said...

Tell me that's a joke, Castor. Since when do Scott's movies need to be longer? Ugh...*



* Note: the writer of this comment has not seen Robin Hood. Nor does he wish to.

Snipes said...

Yea this post wasn't that great today... :P

I'm not "best movie ever" on Robin Hood, but it seems we have another Kingdom of Heaven here where people just want to put down anything Ridley Scott that's Gladiator like, even those who haven't seen it (I'm pointing in your general direction Fletch!)

I look forward to checking out the DC, hopefully it's more violent, because that was my main complaint, should be getting it sometime this week ordered the UK Steelbook edition so we'll see how that works out.

Fletch said...

Guilty as charged. I'm just not that impressed with the guy's work. I'll see it eventually, though, I'm sure. And be bored with it. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Castor said...

Such a debbie downer that Fletch ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I saw Ondine on HDNet several months ago. Nothing revolutionary and a little flat.

Simon said...

Have you noticed that when nobody can get Thora Birch, they get Alison Pill? And Alison Pill is actually a lot cooler?

Robin Hood makes me want to shoot it's boring, mediocre face.

Related Posts with Thumbnails