Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tag I'm It: 10 Movie Facts Time

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I've been tagged (and again) with the 10 Movie Facts about myself, that's been going around lately. It reminds me quite a bit of the Kreativ Blogger thing which went around a few months back. Alas, if I'm going to go at it, I'm going to go all the way! And by all the way, I mean posting 10 things about my movie self that I can remember while "conveniently" forgetting about 500 others :).


1. As a kid I loved Armageddon. Probably watched it a hundred times. Everyday we had off school, really any occasion, didn't matter. To this day, I still have a nostalgia soft spot for it, despite it's obsessive cheesiness.

2. I have never seen a movie starring Errol Flynn. I want desperately to remedy this, but I only have 2 days a week I can watch movies anymore, and he just never manages to squeeze in!

3. When I was a kid I got very uneasy around gore/violence in films, so my parent's would pre-screen most of the more violent films I watched for too much of it. Things stayed this way until The Matrix became popular at my middle school. I decided heck with said uneasiness and went for the watch. I still get uneasy with overly realistic or exposing violence (like Saw levels), but for the most part I'm good.

4. One of my nervous habits is humming movie themes to myself. The main repeaters: Glory, Indiana Jones, James Bond, Untouchables, and Lord of the Rings.

5. I seldom laugh at most comedy movies unless I'm watching them with someone who laughs a lot (like my sister for instance). Otherwise I tend to chuckle in retrospect more.

6. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was the first film I watched where I noticed character recasting had taken place. That movie still haunts my dreams (top 5 contender for my worst ever list).

7. I vote Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore reigns as the most awesome use of a celebrity cameo ever.

8. In the summer of 2008 I spent 2 weeks watching every full length Hayao Miyazaki film ever made. Was one of the most enjoyable film challenges I ever undertook (23 Days of Kurosawa definitely also ranks up there - but far more tiring).

9. The first movie I ever reviewed period was Glory. The first movie I reviewed for this blog was Hurt Locker. My favorite genre of film is War, not surprisingly (I know there's several facts there, but they compound into one).

10. I still believe James Earl Jones baseball speech in Field of Dreams is perhaps one of the most awe inspiring speeches in film history. I've seen the movie several times just to watch that speech in all its glory and relevance.


Soooo there you go. 10 movie related facts about me! Excited? I know you are!

Well, since I have no clue who all has been nominated (except for the few who nominated me). I'll just list a few people I haven't seen, and if you have, sorry!

Castor @ Anomalous Material
MovieNut14 @ Life of a Cinephile
Andrew @ Encore Entertainment

If you really want to do this, but haven't been nominated let me know and I'll add you. Otherwise happy 10 listing everyone!

10 better thoughts:

DEZMOND said...

Wait a minute, what are you doing making these complex lists??? Weren't you supposed to hang out with your book this weekend? :)

MovieNut14 said...

Dang, shoulda seen that coming a mile away. Onto working on the list!

Andrew K. said...

Damn I agree wholeheartedly with #7. That was just an epic performance.

And I told you to watch the Robin Hood films to combat #2. Tick tock.

Univarn said...

@Dez 10 mins here, 10 mins there, everyone needs little breaks from studying.

@Movienut :) had to be done

@Andrew I know I know! I'll get on it as soon as I have the time.

Simon said...

#2 is nothing to be ashamed of. I've only seen Men in Tights, anyway.

Castor said...

#9 War is also my favorite genre!

Thanks for tagging me! I'll try to post something on Sunday :)

Univarn said...

@Simon Men in Tights, can't do much better than that :P

@Castor Can't wait!

The Taxi Driver said...

Hey, this is a great list. Glad I was one of the two who tagged you. You know, I liked Armageddon as a teenager too, although I liked it because I was going through a Bruce Willis phase and needed to see everything with him in it. I have no love left in my heart for this movie but the Last Boy Scout still does it for me for some reason. I think I'd just about have to agree with the rest of the list. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I can't watch a lot of gore without my stomach churning wildly, so I generally go for "toned down" horror :) If you haven't done it already, I'd be very interest to see you blog your top Miyazaki movies!

Univarn said...

@Mike The Last Boy Scout, that's probably one of the few Willis film's I've turned off. Not saying it's bad, I just got disinterested early on. Thanks for the comment!

@Sundry Thanks for commenting! I've been debating doing a Miyazaki list for a while now. I may just sit down and dig into it in the next week or two so keep an eye out for that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails